Having begun to worry that we
might never scratch the surface of the ‘real’ Cambodia, and lead a very pleasurable
but ultimately uninformative expat style existence in our remaining three weeks
here, we manage today to have a conversation with some actual Cambodian people,
and we learn a lot.
From N, our Khmer class
instructor, we learn some Khmer phrases which enter my head, hopefully - and
then instantly exit it, though thankfully I manage to record them on my phone
(oh the woefully unromantic digital age) for practice later. Far more
importantly though, I get into a conversation with N after the class is over.
I learn that Cambodian women go
to the market between 4 and 9am to buy food for the day. At the most they might
buy a few days worth, but never a whole week, the way you might in a
supermarket in England. Everything is bought fresh on a daily basis.
We learn that gender roles are
similar to Vietnam, in that the woman who brings the food back then cooks and
cleans for the family, and looks after the children. This is always the woman’s
role.
We learn that there are smaller
markets who open at 2am and may close as early as 7am, and certainly by 9am.
We learn that now is the time for
rice harvest, and that workers in the paddy fields will be up early, working
hard to extract the crop that their next meal is dependant on. 80% of Cambodian
people work in agriculture.
I brim with further questions,
but we have to move on to go to our ‘monk chat’. Before I do, though, N and I
have a very satisfying conversation about tourism. N wants visitors to try to
gain an understanding of the real Cambodian life and is frustrated by the short
term, temple filled flying visits often made by backpackers. I am beginning to despair
of gaining the local insights that I want amid a whirl of commercialism, scams
and cynicism. I can have a tourist experience. But it’s hard to have much more.
What emerges from this is that N
offers to be our tour guide, she has a part time low key tour guide business,
and can take us to see the work in the paddy fields, talk to the farmers and
experience the local life. I enthusiastically agree, take her number, and we
plan to meet up and plan our tour over dinner (N likes to hang out with ex pats
and frequently has dinner with the people she meets through the language
course.) N’’s affiliation with the Peace Cafe should mean we know we can trust
her. And I like her ‘don’t mess about, get down to basics’ attitude. Though of
course also it scares me. Just a little.
From the monk, who I shall call R,
we learn that the monk’s daily schedule begins at 4am. Between 4 and 6, the
monks go out to collect breakfast. Monks depend entirely on the kindness of the
local people, and essentially, collecting breakfast involves carrying a bowl and
a humble but pleading expression, and relying on the generosity of local
bakers, rice vendors and individuals to fill the bowl with food. Breakfast is
shared and eaten communally and anything left over is saved for lunch. The
monks study between 7 and 11am, and again from 1 until 5. At 5.30 they chant,
until 7pm. Monks are forbidden to eat in the evening.
“No wonder”, says M, as we tuck
greedily into our dinner later, “monks always look so thin.”
What R explains though, is that many
young boys become monks because they are poor and their families seek refuge, education
and a future for them at the Pagoda. M and I encountered this also in Thailand.
We attended a ‘monk chat’ there too and the monk who turned up had less
interest in discussing Buddhism than he did in finding out which football team
we supported. Given that we knew nothing about football and he did a good
impression of knowing nothing about Buddhism (at least that he was prepared to
share), both parties left smiling, but perhaps a little unsatisfied. R is less
young, and more interested in Buddhism. He is a volunteer teacher, because he
wants to teach poor young monks like he was, and help them, the way he was
helped.
He explains that Buddhists hope to
follow the teachings of the Buddha to achieve enlightenment, eventually
reaching Nirvana, a state beyond the cycle of life, death and rebirth. There
are various basic tenets of the Buddhist faith. One is not to kill. This may
seem rather obvious until you understand that this extends to all living
creatures. M and I understood already that generally Buddhists were vegetarians
for his reason, and that some went so far as to refuse to eat onion or garlic,
because these are the root of the vegetable, so that essentially you are
killing the plant by uprooting and eating it. We found, at least in Vietnam,
which also practises Therevada Buddhism, that the concept of ‘vegetarian’ could
be stretched a little in various directions. Being ‘vegetarian’ can mean that
you abstain from eating meat or fish when the moon is full, but are entirely
carnivorous for the rest of the time. It can mean that you don’t eat anything
which doesn’t have ‘wings’ (with a spurious excuse being carved out for some
monks too allow them to eat rabbit. The ears could be considered ‘wings’
apparently. Don’t ask me. I didn’t make that up.) For R, the logic is that the
monks can eat meat or fish except when they know that it has been killed.
Apparently if they are handed someone’s leftover chicken on their breakfast
rounds they don’t technically know the animal has been killed because they
haven’t seen it or heard it. However if R is invited to his sister’s house and
she says, ‘excellent, we can have a feast – I will go and kill that chicken for
you’, he then cannot eat the chicken. I am not going to get into the curious
doublethink involved in these rules, partly because I expect M will have a little
rant about it in his blog, and partly because I am conscious of the amount of
doublethink we do at home, as humans and especially where religion is involved.
(‘Love your enemy but also judge him’, for example, or ‘believe your sins have
already been paid for but also somehow end up plagued constantly by the guilt
you are supposed to be freed from.’). It’s hard not to double think. Life is
complex and full of contradictions, and so are we.
All the same, M and I consume our
entirely vegetarian dinners with voracious appetites. And if there is a slight
sense of smug virtuousness adding to the taste sensation – well so be it. It’s
not often you get to be so very arrogant that you can talk to a monk and still
emerge feeling holier than thou.
And finally, Dr Beat Richner. A
man whose courage, pig headed determination and selfless energy has saved lives
in the thousands, and who took the time to explain to a group of pasty tourists
the realities for the sick children of dirt poor families in Cambodia, and what
he and the staff at the Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals are trying to do
about it, - and who had the impossible grace to ask for donations, both of
money and blood, without being pushy about it.
I will enlarge.
Dr Beat is a Swiss doctor who came
face to face with the poverty in Cambodia whilst working as a young paediatrician
in Phnom Penh back in the seventies. Cambodia used to have a sophisticated public
health system to rival that of Singapore, at the time. This had been established
by a particular monarch I think in the fifties. However in the early seventies American
bombs wiped out a lot of the facilities and the people, closely followed by the
Khmer Rouge, who proceeded to destroy and evacuate hospitals.
By the time the Khmer Rouge were
overthrown, Cambodia’s health system was in tatters, huge numbers of its professionals
had been executed, and poverty was rife. I am unclear on how much poverty had
existed beforehand, or on precisely what it was that meant Cambodia was not
able to restore things in the 35 years that followed, but Dr Beat hints that
the systemic corruption was a direct result of this serious of blows dealt to
Cambodia and its citizens in such quick succession.
Whatever the cause, the current
situation is that there is no public health system, and those who pay for
treatment may have to pay not only for the treatment itself but also a serious
of bribes levied as extras by various nurses, porters, potentially even
cleaners, in the hospitals. This makes health care difficult to afford when you
are a poor family, struggling to feed each other and earning a dollar a day or
less.
Essentially, children of poor
families were unable to be treated because their parents could not afford the
upfront cash required. Children were dying in their thousands. It was, to use
Dr Beat’s own term, a passive genocide.
Dr Beat Richner has founded a
series of hospitals known as the Kantha Bopha hospitals for children.
Everything at these hospitals is completely free. Mothers can bring their sick
children for treatment knowing two things; that they will not be asked to pay
and that there will be no corruption. Dr Richner’s staff at the hospitals are
well qualified, competent Cambodian professionals, who are paid, from head
Surgeon down to head Cleaner, a fair and reasonable wage to prevent corruption.
All the staff know that additional bribes are not tolerated, and in fact the
staff both buy into Dr Rchner’s vision of fair treatment for all and don’t need
to employ extra tactics to get by. Dr Richner managed to found his first hospital
with the support of the then King, and has managed successively to open several
more, with the support of the government, the respect of the people and my
unmitigated admiration. Thousands of children are being saved. Each day, some
65 operations are performed and around a hundred children are seen on a daily
basis. It’s an incredibly busy hospital, but an efficient one, run to western
standards and with western quality equipment.
It has not been easy. Dr Beat has
some funding from Switzerland, but it amounts to around 10% of what he needs. He
has some funding from the government, to the extent that the government can
support, but those together do not make up even 50% of the required funding.
The hospital exists, hand to mouth, for the vast majority of its funding from
private donations. That’s you and me. And most of us are not millionaires. So
it’s an excruciatingly slow build up - a few dollars here, a few dollars there.
It’s an incredibly stressful way
to live. And Dr Beat is tireless. He runs a concert every single Saturday night
for the tourists. He plays us Bach, beautifully on his cello and he talks about
his work and shows us a video. Afterwards there are collection bowls held at
the door, but not proffered, pushed or even especially drawn attention to. There
is no charge for the concert.
But if Dr Beat is to continue to
run his hospital, if the children are to continue to be able to come and be
treated, free of charge, if the Mothers are to return home, their child safe in
their arms, a family tragedy avoided, the money is going to have to keep
coming. And Dr Beat can’t keep doing this forever.
He is, in many ways, a man of
great controversy. He has identified what he believes is right, and then doggedly,
fiercely ploughed towards it. “I do not think this is ever going to work,” says
a friend of his in the video he shows us, when he first discusses building a
second hospital, “I think it is crazy. There is no resource for this.”
“I think you’re right,” says the
Doctor, “but let’s just see what happens.”
The World Health Organisation
states that the patients at a hospital must pay. Dr Beat is going against its
tenets when he insists on providing everything free. Western health organisations
state that the facilities in a hospital should be ‘commensurate with the economic
climate of a country’. So poor people, presumably, should have poor facilities.
Dr Beat provides equipment and sophisticated practices commensurate with a
western society.
Representatives from the west
come to visit Dr Beat and see the hospital. Dr Beat quotes the average sum it
costs per hospital stay for one child, at 260 to 290 dollars. “That’s far too
much,” say the western representatives, staying at the five star hotel next door, for 490 dollars a night. “That’s
far too much to be spending in this country.”
The World Health Organisation advises
that before treating disease in a developing country, the people should be
taught basic healthcare and sanitation. “They want us to teach them to wash their
hands,” snorts Dr Richner, “You could wash your hands all day. It wouldn’t stop
you getting dengue fever.”
Much of Dr. Richner’s opinion is heavily
biased, but it is laced with intense frustration, which in turn is fuelled by
intense care for the children of Cambodia. For all of them. The King’s grandson
was treated in one of the hospitals. He received the same level of care as the
poorest child there. And vice versa. It remains deeply frustrating
that poor children, without Dr Richner, cannot receive good healthcare. That
such poverty exists in the first place. That the hospital, doing the work it
does, is not recognised by so much of western society.
What matters, is that Dr Beat still
works towards his vision. That he manages, in a way that I could not, to stand
firm amid such powerful dissenting voices. In that situation I would probably
see the logical argument they made, would be discouraged, lose faith and
confidence in my convictions, and end up compromising. Dr Beat is a
revolutionary, a Jesus figure, for those of us who have a Christian faith.
Someone who can see past the accepted reality and forge a new one.
Dr Beat has dreams of opening a
similar hospital in Africa. “If it can happen here,” he says, “it could happen
there.”
I hope so. But it isn’t just Dr Richner’s problem.
There’s more, I realise, to keeping
it real. It’s not just about understanding the real Cambodia, passively absorbing
information and regurgitating it in blogs. Keeping it real is about realising
who you are. And where you fit in.
I am not a Cambodian national. I
am a tourist. As a tourist I have certain powers. I can spend wisely. I can
donate my money because I have more of it than the people who frequent Dr.
Richner’s hospital. I can donate my blood. But it’s about more than this.
I am not a revolutionary. I would
love to front big initiatives and change the world. But I’m a people pleaser. I
know I would be swayed.
What I am, is a professional
earning a good wage in the west. The best thing I can do is to go home at the
end of this trip, work hard, earn money, and send it to people like Dr.
Richner.
It’s not exciting, it’s not
dramatic, but it’s the nearest I can get to changing the world.
<If you have read this post
and want to learn more or to donate, Dr. Richner’s website is at http://www.beat-richner.ch/index.html>
No comments:
Post a Comment