Put me on my death bed right now and I would spend most of my time snivelling and trying to get sympathy. In between, if you were silly enough to ask, I would probably recount my life in journeys. Student debt to solvency, single to happily married, starting points, turning points, aspirations. You know, the big stuff. I might not mention which particular diet fads worked or didn't work. I may not remember that mistake I made at work which was not significant but for which I spent nearly an entire week mentally crippling myself. I would definitely not care whether on Tuesday 24 August 2003, someone had remembered to put the bins out.

And yet on a daily basis approximately 90% of my energy is ploughed into just those issues and the bigger picture is....well, a bit over pixelated.

This is fine, I reason. And perfectly rational. What is important however is not to let stuff I won't remember prevent me from finding the time to create the memories I will cherish.

And so....operation no regrets. Beginning with a travelling adventure. Eleven months, eleven counties, two backpacks, myself, my husband and the odd mosquito along for the ride.

Friday, 10 October 2014

End of the First Week Statistics

Some numbers for you.

To date, since we arrived in Vietnam:

Amount of 50% DEET lotion applied: Lots
Number of mosquito bites: 10 (How?)
Number of horrible red infected mosquito bites: zero (which for me is a record)
Number of motorbikes on the average road: Approximately 400
Amount of fear about motorbikes on road:
    Days 1 to 2: 'Oh my goodness. I'm going to die. Angst.'
    Days 3 - 5: 'Ha! Look at me! I am so brave. I can cross the road like a big girl.'
    Days 5 - 7: 'Bikes? What bikes?'
Skin colour: Exactly as pasty as when we started
Sweat: Buckets
Number of nights the cat has slept with us on our bed: 2. We are thrilled. Cat has now rather lost interest however.
Ability to swing dance: zero
Ability to speak Vietnamese: negligible
Progress on Neville the Novel: He sulked at first after his long period of neglect but is now almost tame. No actual writing yet but he has been planned out and I have reminded myself what he looks like.
Jet leg: zero now. But it took a while.
Number of amazing meals: All of them
Number of rats on sticks: None. Despite everyone being convinced that we would be barely able to move for them. There is, however, a pharmacy on every corner.
Places with wifi: Everywhere
Thefts, accidents and other mishaps: None. Unless you count me stubbing my toe on the curb once.
Number of stares from Vietnamese: A million
Number of unfriendly stares: None.
Waistline: shrinking. Vietnamese food is much healthier. Also I lose my body weight each day in sweat.
Ability to bargain: minus 4

Not a bad tot up, all in all!

No comments:

Post a Comment