Put me on my death bed right now and I would spend most of my time snivelling and trying to get sympathy. In between, if you were silly enough to ask, I would probably recount my life in journeys. Student debt to solvency, single to happily married, starting points, turning points, aspirations. You know, the big stuff. I might not mention which particular diet fads worked or didn't work. I may not remember that mistake I made at work which was not significant but for which I spent nearly an entire week mentally crippling myself. I would definitely not care whether on Tuesday 24 August 2003, someone had remembered to put the bins out.

And yet on a daily basis approximately 90% of my energy is ploughed into just those issues and the bigger picture is....well, a bit over pixelated.

This is fine, I reason. And perfectly rational. What is important however is not to let stuff I won't remember prevent me from finding the time to create the memories I will cherish.

And so....operation no regrets. Beginning with a travelling adventure. Eleven months, eleven counties, two backpacks, myself, my husband and the odd mosquito along for the ride.

Sunday, 19 October 2014

Some more statistics - end of second week

Number of Vietnamese who have beamed at us: beyond counting

Number of motorbikes driving on the pavement: nearly as many as on the road

Number of times we have rescued the cat: 4 (she climbs up onto the beams that criss cross the yard and then gets too scared to come back down)

Number of mosquito bites: 4 (largely due to my self imposed deet free afternoon, which was an error)

Improvement at yoga: some genuinely discernable progress.

Improvement at swing dance: no

Number of desserts posing as drinks: a million. I am quite partial to the odd cheese cake smoothie or  coconut ice cream coffee.

Number of times I have held up a bus journey by being in the toilet: most bus journeys.

Number of cockroaches: much less than last week

Number of gekkos: not enough. We like gekkos. They eat mosquitoes.

Progress on Neville: not exactly rapid. No time. Need to start making it. I am supposed to be writing right now. That's why this post is so short. Our mission today is for me to write the next section - then celebrate with bia hoi. Something for everyone.

Number of monsoon showers: 3

Number of times after we bought macs that it rained and we didn't have them with us: 2

Number of times it has rained when we have actually had the macs with us: zero

Number of different vehicles travelled in : 6 (mini bus, coach, car ferry, motorised boat, canoe, pushbike)

Number of hours it takes M to take a picture of our food (while I salivate): approximately 18

Amount of iced green tea drunk for free with meals and on coffee houses: uncountable

Budget: largely under

Mood: mostly euphoric. With the slight exception of the pagoda mission day. Though even that improved with beer.

Number of regrets: none

No comments:

Post a Comment