Put me on my death bed right now and I would spend most of my time snivelling and trying to get sympathy. In between, if you were silly enough to ask, I would probably recount my life in journeys. Student debt to solvency, single to happily married, starting points, turning points, aspirations. You know, the big stuff. I might not mention which particular diet fads worked or didn't work. I may not remember that mistake I made at work which was not significant but for which I spent nearly an entire week mentally crippling myself. I would definitely not care whether on Tuesday 24 August 2003, someone had remembered to put the bins out.

And yet on a daily basis approximately 90% of my energy is ploughed into just those issues and the bigger picture is....well, a bit over pixelated.

This is fine, I reason. And perfectly rational. What is important however is not to let stuff I won't remember prevent me from finding the time to create the memories I will cherish.

And so....operation no regrets. Beginning with a travelling adventure. Eleven months, eleven counties, two backpacks, myself, my husband and the odd mosquito along for the ride.

Friday, 10 October 2014

New Men and Drunken Women

We have had plenty of opportunities to talk to Vietnamese people, who all have English which puts our Vietnamese to shame. One such conversation turns to the subject of marriage. Lots of Vietnamese women, says our female confidant, (who we shall somewhat appropriately call XX) want nothing more fervently than to get married and have children. On the whole, however, a wife is expected to go out to work, return, do 100% of the cooking and cleaning and take care of not only the children but the husband and all of his family. The wife becomes the least important person in the household, or arguably, the most important, but the least empowered. 

XX doesn't want this for herself or even, if she can help it, for her friends. She worries that in the struggle to shoulder this immense workload, women begin to lose themselves, as they gradually lose time to pursue any of their own interests. XX has no problem with marriage per se, just with marriage to a Vietnamese man. It is not uncommon for there to be domestic violence and it is not viewed with the same repulsion as perhaps it is in the west. Even where the husband is very gentle, he nevertheless will not expect to do anything for himself, and it is, at the very least, extremely hard work. XX admits that some of her friends want this - they don't see it as drudgery, and therefore perhaps they are happy. She passes no specific judgement on either the system or those who, literally, marry into it, but she doesn't want it for herself. She would choose to be single or to marry a foreigner in preference. 

I appreciate XX's strength of will, but comment that it must be hard in a society which does not share such views. XX agrees, noting that her family tend to assume that she will come round to it in time, and cannot understand her reluctance. What she also says, however, is that she has a group of female friends who feel the same, and who are also resolved not to marry, or not to marry a Vietnamese man. Given this, and that the greater significance given to male over female babies has created a deficit of females to males, it looks rather as though there may be crisis in respect of the dwindling supply of females. 

I comment that it sounds rather like England not so long ago, perhaps in the 1970's, until the emergence of the so called 'new man'. M enquires as to whether  there might be a generation of young Vietnamese men, who secretly want to cook and are willing to help clean, and who might emerge as a potential wave of ‘new men’, to compliment this growing trend among women. XX laughs. She doesn’t think so. Not for a while longer, anyway.

Equality between men and women has long been difficult. I am loath to point the finger at inequalities in Vietnam, given that whilst the UK has theoretically moved on from such notions as the housekeeping being the women’s realm, there is an uneasy swing the other way. I have witnessed groups of women talking about their men in a way which would cause outrage among both men and women who overheard it, were the tables to be turned. Studies have been done in which a public scene is enacted, showing some sort of physical abuse or threatening behaviour first, the man against the women, and secondly the woman against the man. The first gets the public approbation and the victim the help the scene deserves but the latter draws only a curious stare, and in some cases, laughter. So we didn’t get it right either.

Perhaps we never get it right. Maybe it is all about a series of small adjustments, continual tweaking to keep things on as even a keel as is possible over time. I will await with interest, the emergence of the new Vietnamese man, and the next little wobble on our tightrope journey of gender equality.

Later, after some very bad (i.e. not existent) bargaining attempts in Benh Than market, we repair to a Bia Hoi establishment. Bia Hoi is freshly made unpasteurised beer. You have to drink it on the same day it is made and the place to drink it is in a shack on the side of the road, or, as with the one we went to, a small, fairly functional building about the size of a garage. As we approach the place I find myself stepping back a little. Onto M’s toe, in point of fact. Outside the building there are about six or seven people, all drinking bia hoi (which is served in plastic flagons, 1 litre per person). All of them are men.

“Don’t forget your wife.” I say to M, nervously, quoting Mr Binh from the Cu Chi tunnels tour, who tended to remind the men of this in the same breath as endorsing the tour group not to forget their sunglasses and wallets. M laughs and we cross the street. A very expansive and friendly man sitting on the front step waves us in,

“Bia Hoi!” he says and gives us a beaming thumbs up. I am probably a little over aware of this, but it seems to me that he is talking largely to M, though he watches my chest closely as I follow M in. My boobs, it would appear, are very welcome. Having said that, I must follow it immediately with the fact that not one person, no matter how many empty flagons of Bia Hoi were in front of them, made a comment, pointed or behaved anywhere near as badly as a group of sober English men hanging out of a car window. Besides, both the English comments and the Vietnamese gazes are largely flattering. And I take a compliment where I can get it. There’s not that many of them around.

As we walk into the room I see that I am literally the only women there, not counting the servers, all of who are women. I feel simultaneously pale and vulnerable, and like some sort of massive beer swilling fishwife, who might, at any moment, launch into a hearty rendition of an appallingly rude song. Once we are seated, however, and the Bia Hoi comes (it is light, refreshing and delicious) I feel the atmosphere better. It’s full of good humour and animated conversation. It is, I suppose, a pub. But you don’t always get such a great atmosphere in pubs. Is it the short supply of Bia Hoi, perhaps, rendering it always a novelty? The fact it is Friday evening? Or are Vietnamese people simply always friendly and cheery, and what we are witnessing is a group of them in one place, having fun? I am inclined towards the latter explanation although there is the other obvious one – it’s the beer.

Flagon drunk, we stand up. I am determined not to wobble. The beer is not that strong and I am a free, emancipated woman.

Unfortunately I have a case of the hiccups. All the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment