Today manages to be both indolent and industrious.
We are up early to talk to my parents on Skype and then, after a nice natter, we send our way out to the market. The Sunday market here is as colourful as the Psar Leu in Cambodia, though a fraction of the size. Notably missing are the fish, kept in a state of half death or the smell of meat, blood and guts though both fish and meat are sold here. Instead there are large mountains of curry paste, ranging from brown to green to bright red. We choose something spicy. The restaurants here are great but we ate looking forward to creating something at home which has a proper chilli bite! Whether because the style here is different, or in deference to us as tourists, we haven't yet eaten anything that blew our heads off - and we'd quite like to try!
We return home, have breakfast and then I pretty much bury myself in Neville the Novel all day, with a brief break to chat to M's parents on Skype. I finally finish the section I was working on in the evening so we eat out on the deck, watching a yellow moon rise in the sky.
Its idyllic. We haven't moved much although, feeling stiff and folded over my laptop I do follow a quick exercise module online in the mid afternoon, but I have achieved what I wanted to.
It's an odd feeling because should we not really be trekking over the mountain or snorkeling or, at least, looking at view. In fact I have spent much of the day focused my screen, in another world altogether. And yet, should I not be proud of that effort in itself? Part of the purpose of this trip was to write.
I have largely lost, by now, the impulse to apologise for not bring Brad. But I sometimes want to apologise to the sea for not gazing, constantly, out at it.
I wonder if this is just typical Britishness, or a signal from my body that mind is getting all the attention.
We have another calm day planned for tomorrow. But after that I think I need to take my body out and get it good and dirty and tired.
I'm rather looking forward to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment